Translate

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Computer Language...err English, Please?

Hi! I've created this blog for my technology class at UTK.
My older sister is a system administrator at a private school in CA (where we're from), so after many years of living with her, I know quite a bit about technology. However, I don't really know any of the "language" behind computers. In other words, it took me a few months to stop saying Amanda worked with computer servers and tries to keep the website  up and running and to say she's a system administrator; computer language.

My expectation for this class is not necessarily to learn how to do new things with the computer. It may seem a bit backwards and odd. However, my main goal is to learn what is "out there" to be used in the classroom. The technological world is rather large (and thrilling [or scary, depending on your point of view]) and I definitely need some help navigating around all the new products and sites!

I have taken only one computer class before. It was an introduction to computer applications course where we learned about MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint. I found this class extremely helpful. I was able to expand my knowledge of database systems a few months after taking that class by working at a resort in San Diego that used an "in house" database system. I feel like I have a great handle on maneuvering around PCs and just about two months ago got a MacBook Pro (which I love!). So, I am new to the Mac world, but am a very quick learner. I am more of a click-and-see type of person than a spend-hours-on-Google-searching-for-ways-to-do-this-better type of gal. Thus, my scope of knowledge doesn't really grow unless someone tells me "you should really look into _____". I look forward to diving deeper into a world full of new terms and language that I only have a small amount of information about.

No comments:

Post a Comment